Problem building the whole X stack, results in no i915.ko

Lucas Charles lucas.charles at unine.ch
Thu Jan 1 14:27:55 PST 2009

Thank you for taking the time to answer,

Eric Anholt a écrit :
> On Thu, 2009-01-01 at 18:57 +0100, Lucas Charles wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>> As I own a new laptop powered by a intel chipset (GM45 or something like
>> that :p, comes with a centrino 2), I decided to build the whole X stack
>> when I found this tutorial.
>> http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/git
>> But when I wanted to do the different insmod as described in the
>> 'Running your new stack' section, I found out that the i915.ko was not
>> build (no i915.ko in drm/linux-core), so my questions are.
>>

> The kernel module comes from the linux kernel.

I am a bit confused, I think I need some clarification as in the
tutorial it's written :
#

insmod /<path_to_drm_tree_above>//linux-core/i915.ko

I understood that it was /root/drm/linux-core/i915.ko, as the drm.ko is
build as is present at /root/drm/linux-core/drm.ko ?
Again I thought i915.ko would have been build with
make -C linux-core.
The kernel source are found by the scripts that need it and as the drm
module from (/root/drm...) can be loaded, I guess it is build against
the right kernel (e.g 2.6.27), am I right ?
I think I completely missed the point of your indication, and I don't to
waste anybody's time, so may be you have a reference where I can see
what I am doing wrong.

Best Regards,
Lucas Charles