EXA and migration [was: shrink xrender featureset]

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 13:08:38 PST 2009

Hi Michael,

> I can definitely see how diagonal lines would cause migration ping-pong,
> but for gradients without blending, as of xserver 1.6 they should just
> get rendered by the CPU to the system memory copy without any previous
> migration necessary. If you're not seeing that, please provide more
> information.

Is this also the case when a mask is used for composition?
If this is the case, what would be the drawbacks to use a temporary
pixmap to avoid migrating out of VRAM?
Even tiling could be used, so that a fixed-size, once allocated pixmap
(e.g. 64x64x32) could be used.
May I open a bug-report in bugzilla, at least to keep this issue not forgotten?

Thanks for all your hard work on EXA, Clemens