Performance Issues with RV280

Beso givemesugarr at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 00:29:06 PST 2009

2009/1/8  <8yRgR4DKpg6w at dyweni.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I have a PIII 550 w/ a RV280 Radeon 9200 AGP card.
>
> Using the latest code checked out from X.Org Git repositories, I am
> experiencing performance issues.
>
> Firefox (2.x), Konqueror (KDE4), Kwrite (KDE4)... Seems to be any X
> application.
>
> In the case of Firefox and Konqueror (the two that I have done most of
> my testing with), top shows that the application and X itself are
> competing equally (roughly 40%-60% range) for CPU.  The total cpu time
> of both combined is 100%.
>
> I'm using the default configuration that ships with X (X -configure) as
> my test configuration.
>
> The default configuration supports XAA Acceleration, and using
> glxgears, it get about 740 FPS.
>
> Setting 'Option   "AccelMethod" "exa"' in the drivers section gives
> 10-20 additional FPS.
>
> All the applications (Firefox, Konqueror, Kwrite, etc) all have
> horrible response times when resizing windows, scrolling, etc.
>

> I'm open for any suggestions / instructions that can help
> troubleshoot and resolve this.

posting the /var/log/Xorg.0.log would be helpful. from what you're
telling it seems
that you don't have hw video acceleration enabled and you're using the cpu to
accelerate your xorg. you've most likely not using dri for some sort
of error while
case also the
list of kwin effects would be useful.
from the log and the list of kwin4 effects we might be able to give
you more help.
also, if you're using radeon then you'd want to really use exa instead
of xaa since
it's more perfomant than xaa.

--
dott. ing. beso