3Dconnexcion SpacePilot works like a mouse (TrackPoint in laptop)

Jarosław Bułat kwant at agh.edu.pl
Fri Jan 9 09:02:15 PST 2009

Dnia 2008-12-07, N o godzinie 08:56 -0800, Dan Nicholson pisze:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 6:13 AM, Jarosław Bułat <kwant at agh.edu.pl> wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > After connection SpacePilot (3DConnexion) it starts to act as a mouse
> > (TrackPoint), however, it souldn't. SpacePilot is automatically
> > recognized as a mouse. There is no any configuration in /etc/xorg.conf
> > (see Attachment), however, I found the following line
> > in /var/log/Xorg.0.log (see Attachment):
> >
> > (II) config/hal: Adding input device 3Dconnexion SpacePilot
> > (**) 3Dconnexion SpacePilot: always reports core events
> > (**) 3Dconnexion SpacePilot: Device: "/dev/input/event6"
> > (II) 3Dconnexion SpacePilot: Found x and y relative axes
> > (II) 3Dconnexion SpacePilot: Found 21 mouse buttons
> > (II) 3Dconnexion SpacePilot: Configuring as mouse
> > (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "3Dconnexion
> > SpacePilot" (type: MOUSE)
> > (**) 3Dconnexion SpacePilot: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
> > (**) 3Dconnexion SpacePilot: EmulateWheelButton: 4, EmulateWheelInertia:
> > 10, EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
> > (WW) 3Dconnexion SpacePilot: unable to handle keycode 265
> >
> > I suspect, HAL did it, see Attachment (lshal.txt). Since I'm using
> > spacenavd from http://spacenav.sourceforge.net/, SpacePilot can't be
> > configured in X server - see FAQ:
> > http://spacenav.sourceforge.net/faq.html.
>
> What happened is that HAL saw the device and told the server to use
> the evdev driver with it. Then evdev went and decided it was a mouse
> and how to use it based on what the kernel says about its
> capabilities.
>
> > How can I disable autoconfiguration for this specific device? If the X
> > Server uses the device as an XInput source, the spacenav driver don't
> > get any events from this device.
>
> You can create a fdi file that removes the x11_driver property, which
> means the X server won't pick it up. Here's what I was doing with the
> trackpoint on my laptop when evdev didn't work for it:
>
> $ cat /etc/hal/fdi/policy/no-hotplug-trackpoint.fdi
> <deviceinfo version="0.2">
>   <device>
>     <match key="info.product" contains="TrackPoint">
>       <remove key="input.x11_driver"/>
>     </match>
>   </device>
> </deviceinfo>
>
> You'd have to restart HAL for it to recognize these changes.

It works!

After a little modification (see below) of fdi policy, SpacePilot is
ignored by X server (is not used as a TrackPoint) however it works with
spacenav driver.

$cat /etc/hal/fdi/policy/no-3dconnexion-trackpoint.fdi
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
	<device>
		<match key="info.product" contains="3Dconnexion">
			<remove key="input.x11_driver"/>
		</match>
	</device>
</deviceinfo>