[Brainstorm] LinkKit for Xorg

Paulo César Pereira de Andrade pcpa at mandriva.com.br
Fri Jan 9 18:10:05 PST 2009

  In XFree86 3.x there was a LinkKit, that basically
consisted of a distribution of object files, that could
be linked into a binary by the user and/or system
configuration.

  Personally, at that time, I used it a lot, as I was
running a low end computer, and LinkKit could make
running XFree86 on a computer with like 8MB main
memory, and a card with 256Kb memory "smoothly".

  Xorg (and to some extent XFree86) loadable modules
aren't really of much use, as modules cannot be properly
unloaded, there is no dependency information; a module
doesn't list it's dependencies in any form, causing
frequently one to need to load a lot more code/data
then required.

  This is just brainstorming, but something I thought
some time ago; instead of having a xorg.conf as a
configuration file, it, or an alternate name, could
be a makefile, and then one could choose what driver
and features to link into it.

  Any comments?

Thanks,
Paulo