possible link between wild screen blanking and the ntpd daemon

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Jan 9 20:33:06 PST 2009

Greetings all;

Running the radeonhd driver, version 1.2.4, on a Diamond HD2400 Pro (rv610)
card here. Fedora 8 system (up2date) on an AMD 9550 4 core Phenom, 4 gigs of
memory.

The screen blanker occasionally goes wild, and sometimes even refuses to
unblank without a reboot.  Such was the situation after I took an after
dinner nap tonight, I came in and moved the mouse, the power led on the
monitor lit up, but the monitor didn't, it was sitting in black with the
backlight (its an lcd) faintly visible.

At random times I can trigger it with an image, even the mouse cursor, that
hits or goes off the right edge of the screen, but that I know about and how
to fix, pull whatever I moved over there back.

But I think I can see a correlation between this when no data goes beyond the
edge of the screen but it goes out to lunch anyway, and ntpd doing a
backwards time reset of some fraction of a second.

I've been using the 'adjtimex -t number' to play with the tick and see if I
can stop these little adjustments, which are usually forward in time, and
accidentally hit a count (9995) that caused these time resets to go
backwards, at which point it appears x goes out to lunch as a ctl-alt-bksp
and restart does not cure it, but a reboot will.

Is this scenario possible, or have I got some smoke going that I haven't used
in any form 20 years?

I'll be glad when radeonhd-1.2.5 is available for testing. :-)

Off topic, is David Mills still the ntp guru?
--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)