Making the GTK people happy (was: Re: [Fwd: todo items])

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Jan 11 12:38:27 PST 2009

On Sat, 2009-01-10 at 13:05 +0200, Daniel Stone wrote:

Thanks, Daniel, for capturing and replaying these requests.

> > support for watching for single property changes
>
> This is pretty easy; just add the relevant code to XFixes, and the event
> delivery itself doesn't really change much.

If anyone wants to write up some proposed protocol for XFixes, it would
be easy to add the necessary code.

> I think this should more or less take the form of a DPMS grab, which I'm
> pretty sure we've discussed previously ...

Yeah, we came up with a fairly simple mechanism here which involved
events when clients disabled/enabled the screen saver -- the events
would contain the current disable count. The screen saver application
would *also* disable the automatic screen saver and then would be able
to track other clients disable requests by noticing when the count > 1.

I don't think this requires any DPMS grabs, although a convention
marking screens that have active screen saver applications might be
helpful in avoiding multiple such applications.

We were hoping to get per-CRTC DPMS stuff into RandR this server release
cycle, but it didn't get finished up. That would give the screen saver
application direct control over the monitor power states. I think, along
with DPMS disable events, is sufficient to build a sensible external
screen saver application.

> > support for saner input focus semantics.  it would be great if keyboard
> > events always went to the window given to XSetInputFocus instead of
> > possibly a child window thereof depending on the position of the mouse.
> > xembed would thank you :)

This seems like a fairly serious challenge given the core focus
semantics. Delivering the events is probably easy enough to fix, but
rewriting the focus-in/focus-out event code will probably cause whot to
blow a gasket.

keith.packard at intel.com