Window Manager: Intercepting mouse events

Rémi Cardona remi at gentoo.org
Mon Jan 12 15:22:46 PST 2009

Le 12/01/2009 21:29, Bipin George Mathew a écrit :
> I am writing a window manager where I am transforming the window
> contents (using the composite extensions). After applying the
> transformation, I also need to ensure that mouse events are transformed
> and redirected to the XClients appropriately. What is the best way to do
> so? I came across this X Event extension - Xevie - Is this extension
> recommended for this WM use-case?

There's no official extension to do that. And XEvIE has been broken for
years and was removed a couple weeks ago from master. Besides, it didn't
do what you want.

Compiz folks had Xserver patches to add mesh-type OpenGL-like transforms
to windows. Don't know what state those patches are in...

Metisse (shameless plug) has working input-redirection but it requires
an additional X server process.

Both approaches have their advantages and shortcomings, pick your poison. :)

Cheers

--
Rémi Cardona
LRI, INRIA