[ANNOUNCE] xf86-input-mouse 1.4.0

Wed Jan 14 13:39:30 PST 2009

Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 10:28:35AM -0800, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>> I don't know if our kernel guys will be doing that (it would have to be
>> a reimplementation instead of a port of the kernel driver due to the
>> license issues).    When I discussed porting the xf86-input-evdev to
>> work with the existing Solaris input interfaces, the people who know
>> that driver suggested it probably wasn't a good idea, so I'll probably
>> end up stealing code from the xf86-input-evdev module to add new Xi
>> features like input properties to xf86-input-kbd and xf86-input-mouse
>> at some point (though if someone else is interested enough to beat
>> me to it, please go ahead!  My to-do list is always far longer than
>> I can ever get to.)
>
> Erm, any reason to not just write a new driver? Some of evdev's features
> (e.g. middle-button emulation, et al) could probably be moved into the
> server after careful review and successful use by n > 1 drivers.

Besides the obvious lack of time, I'm not sure what writing a new driver
buys me over updating kbd & mouse.   I'd lose the BSD & SCO code, but also
lose the shared maintenance from the BSD guys helping fix it.  I could
probably live without all the ancient code to speak all the different
ancient dialects of serial mouse, but it hasn't bothered me enough to nuke
it and hose the three people out there who still have one.

Either way I think looking at what code in evdev should be common to evdev,
vmmouse, and either keyboard/mouse or new drivers would be worthwhile.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com