Fedora 10: Trouble installing libdrm (2.4.4) for latest Intel driver (2.6)

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 10:39:25 PST 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 8:10 AM, Joe Smith <stopads at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm having trouble installing the new Intel driver at
> http://intellinuxgraphics.org/2008Q4.html.
> This is xf86-video-intel 2.6.0 for an Intel GME965 chipset.
> I'm running Fedora 10, 2.6.27.9-159.fc10.i686.
>
> I think it all stems from an incomplete libdrm installation, due to a
> missing build directory:
>
> In libdrm-2.4.4 directory:
> # more README
>
>     By default, libdrm and the DRM header files will install into
> /usr/local/.
>     If you want to install this DRM to replace your system copy, say:
>         ./configure --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/
>     Then,
>         make install
>
>     To build the device-specific kernel modules:
>         cd linux-core/
>         make
>         cp *.ko /lib/modules/VERSION/kernel/drivers/char/drm/
>            (where VERSION is your kernel version: uname -f)
>     Or,
>         cd bsd-core/
>         make
>         copy the kernel modules to the appropriate place
>

> I did part one and everything completed normally.  Actually, I added make to
> the process because that's the usual order of operations.
>     ./configure --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/
>     make
>     make install
>
> However, I can't do part 2 because there is no directory called linux-core.
> I did see a directory called shared core.  Here's the listing:

The libdrm tarball doesn't contain the kernel modules. That README is
more for the intention of checking out the drm git repository, which
has both the library and kernel modules. It may be too late now, but
you might not want to replace your system libdrm. You can easily stuff
it in /usr/local or /opt or $HOME.

> I rebooted anyway (who knows?) and don't see the new version:
>
> # dmesg | grep drm
> [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
> [drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20080730 on minor 0

If you follow the intel guide, you should install a newer kernel which
has the updated drm modules.

> But I pushed ahead anyway, and tried installing the Intel driver:
>
> In xf86-video-intel-2.6.0 directory:
> # ./configure
> checking for DRM... configure: error: Package requirements (libdrm >= 2.4.3)
> were not met:
> Requested 'libdrm >= 2.4.3' but version of libdrm is 2.4.0

The important thing is the pkgconfig file. You need to update the
PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable to point to the directory where
your freshly installed libdrm.pc is installed. Intel has a guide for
building, but it has some misinformation. You might want to see the
Xorg wiki, which is more in depth. Here's both pages.

http://intellinuxgraphics.org/install.html
http://wiki.x.org/wiki/Development/git

The bit about building lidbrm as --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/ is not
correct. This will put the libraries and pkgconfig file in /lib and
/lib/pkgconfig. pkg-config does not look there by default, only
/usr/lib/pkgconfig. But, again, it would probably be better to just
install the components outside of the system directories.

--
Dan