Help me resurrect a dead Radeon

Dan dan at entropy.homelinux.org
Mon Jan 19 15:01:31 PST 2009

Hi people.

Some very bad has happened to my laptop with a Radeon X700 Mobility.
Symptoms:

- If I start X with DRI enabled with xf86-video-ati, I get a hard
lockup - usually instantly, but sometimes after a couple of seconds. I
get lots of messages in my X log about "[mi] EQ overflowing. The
server is probably stuck in an infinite loop." and "[mi] mieqEnequeue:
out-of-order valuator event; dropping".

- If I start X with xf86-video-ati and DRI disabled ( 'Option DRI 0'
in xorg.conf ), X startx fine and works for extended periods ( tested
up to 1 day ).

- If I start X with fglrx, and DRI enabled, it works fine. But if I
start compiz or anything 3D, I get *massive* corruption. Bits of
windows are echoed all over the place. Everything works 'fine' other
than this. If I kill compiz, everything works normally as with
xf86-video-ati and DRI disabled.

I should also note that this is absolutely not a software / config
issue. I've installed various versions of Gentoo, Sabayon and
Ubuntu,
and all exhibit the same behaviour.

So ... the problem is a hardware one. I assume it's either the 3D
chip or memory. If it's the 3D chip, there's not much I can do. But if
it's memory, I should be able to blacklist part of the memory or
something, right? I know that the open-source drivers allocate half
available memory to 2D and half to 3D, and I'm hoping that this is the
explanation for why 2D is working and not 3D ( though I suppose this
is largely wishful thinking ).

Is there any hope? Are there any driver options for xf86-video-ati,
xf86-video-radeonhd or fglrx that would allow me to blacklist part of
my video card memory?

Thanks :)

Dan