xorg server should wait HAL if it's not avail during init

Paulo César Pereira de Andrade pcpa at mandriva.com.br
Tue Jan 20 08:42:02 PST 2009

Tino Keitel wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 10:18:10 +0100, Matija Å uklje wrote:
>> Dne torek 20. januarja 2009 je Yan Li napisal(a):
>> > I suggest we add a short (5 seconds) busy-wait if hald is not usable.
>>
>> Isn't that more of a (distro's) init system problem?
>
> The problem is that most of those service dependency stuff ignores the
> fact that daemons may need some time to really become available for
> service.  They just start a service and don't have a way to check if
> the service is really available.  Combined with missing failure
> handling (like starting a service, noticing that the service terminated
> because another required service was not yet available, wait a few
> seconds, and try again automatically), such service dependencies are
> pretty useless if reliability is a requirement.

  The current code already have a "retry every second" callback/timer
schema to connect to dbus. It should not require too much work to
implement a similar system for hal; but I think it would be better
something like, try in 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 seconds, and if failing
after like 32 (or more seconds), revert to use the kdb/mouse drivers,
just fail, or does the evdev driver work without hald running?

  This should be an issue for netbooks, or any attempt at having
a fast boot to an usable interface...

> Regards,
> Tino

Paulo