Proper way to enable port access tracing with current xserver

Tiago Vignatti vignatti at c3sl.ufpr.br
Tue Jan 20 19:50:40 PST 2009

Hi,

Alex Villací­s Lasso escreveu:
> Alex Deucher escribió:
>>> So, lets say I want to add this support back. Is this squarely a
>>> libpciaccess change, or do I have to place this on the xserver (since
>>> this is specifically a VGA requirement)? Is anyone currently working on
>>> this, by any chance (just to avoid duplicating work). Any suggestions on
>>> the proper API to expose from libpciaccess? Are there any official docs
>>> on bridge chipsets, besides the actual source code of old xservers?
>>>
>> Ideally it would be done in the kernel to be used with libpciaccess.
>> Tiago and Paulo have been working on it:
>> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2007-October/029507.html
>> I'm not sure what the current status is.  As for documents, your best
>> bet is probably hw reference guides from the vendors who make the PCI
>> chipsets (AMD/VIA/Intel/etc.).  Most are available.
>>
> I have collected a few patches. However, the referenced repositories are
> now 404. Would it be acceptable to skip a kernel implementation for now
> and instead just modify xserver/libpciaccess to provide a level of
> functionality similar to pre-1.5 ?

The last informations regarding the arbiter are here:

     http://wiki.x.org/wiki/VgaArbiter

I double-checked the links on this wiki. All looks good. Also, there's a
nice reading for you here:

     http://www.inf.ufpr.br/vignatti/papers/vignatti-wso08.pdf

Good luck. Cheers,

--
Tiago Vignatti
C3SL - Centro de Computação Científica e Software Livre