xorg server should wait HAL if it's not avail during init

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Wed Jan 21 04:47:36 PST 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 05:54:20PM +0100, Rémi Cardona wrote:
> Tino Keitel a écrit :
> >> Isn't that more of a (distro's) init system problem?
> >
> > The problem is that most of those service dependency stuff ignores the
> > fact that daemons may need some time to really become available for
> > service.  They just start a service and don't have a way to check if
> > the service is really available.
>
> hald already has a pipe set up between the launcher process and the
> daemon process. The launcher process exits when it receives a "message"
> on the pipe from the daemon. Maybe that message could be delayed until
> HAL is _really_ up and running.
>
> This way, a proper init system will make X start up wait on hald being
> fully up.

no. it shouldn't matter for us what HAL does and how long it takes. The only
thing that matters is that HAL becomes available at some point in time so we
just need to keep trying.
In these modern times where computers are capable of doing two things at once
a serial startup dependency is simply not a smart thing to have.

Cheers,
  Peter