nv driver question

Roland Scheidegger sroland at tungstengraphics.com
Thu Jan 22 07:26:27 PST 2009

On 22.01.2009 04:04, Sergio Monteiro Basto wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 15:00 -0800, w bugar wrote:
>> Hi,
>> A quick nv driver question, installed fedora 10. Seem to be stuck at 800x600 resolution, does it support higher resolutions?
>> Have
>>  Nvidia Riva 128 ZX card
>>  Optiquest V95 monitor
>> Both advertise up to 1600x1200.
>
> I run nv driver with 1280x1024 on fedora 10 and above.
> Riva 128 looks (to me ) an old card, but I don't know if it is.
>
> Search by "Nvidia Riva 128 ZX"
> http://developer.nvidia.com/object/RIVA_128_FAQ.html
> 5. Why does RIVA 128 only support a 4MB frame buffer?
> The RIVA 128 was primarily targeted for the consumer mainstream market,
> so balancing cost and performance was key. Since RIVA 128 uniquely has
> the capability to store textures in off-screen memory on both PCI and
> AGP platforms, we did not feel it necessary to burden the graphics card
> with the additional cost of memory. With virtually unlimited system
> texture memory and a target resolution of 800x600 with 16-bit color
> double-buffered, 4MB is the ideal frame buffer size.

That's for 3d though. It should support higher resolutions for 2d. And
IIRC the main difference between the Riva 128 and Riva 128ZX was that
the latter had a 8MB frame buffer, so some deviation from the "ideal"
frame buffer size :-). Maybe the log offers some insight why it is stuck
at this resolution, I have no idea about this driver though.

Roland