http://wiki.x.org/wiki/Development/git [was: Fedora 10: Trouble installing libdrm (2.4.4) for latest Intel driver (2.6)]

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Thu Jan 22 10:01:04 PST 2009

On Wednesday, January 21, 2009 7:38 pm Sergio Monteiro Basto wrote:
> Hi,
> Since I also works with Fedora 10, I am also interested in this
> thread :)
>
> On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 15:03 -0800, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> > > I've attached my log file.  Am I supposed to have a "rules file" for
> > > evdev?
> >
> > Unfortunately, the script you followed doesn't seem to tell you about
> > handling the XKB data. You can either install xkeyboard-config or
> > follow the instructions for "Making the keyboard work" here:
> >
> > http://wiki.x.org/wiki/Development/git
>
> ok I found some updates on Development/git, and that a cool page , but I
> have some questions .
>
> On section: running new stack
> * rmmod i915 # assuming you're using Intel
>   * rmmod drm
>   * insmod <path_to_drm_tree_above>/linux-core/drm.ko
>   * insmod <path_to_drm_tree_above>/linux-core/i915.ko
>
> This isn't more applicable on Intel isn't it ? but as example for others
> that don't use the new drm kernel are fine :)

Right, please correct this on the wiki. :)  For Intel, the Linux drivers are
maintained in-tree.  The BSD variants are generally ported from there (or the
mailing list) into their respective trees nowadays.

> Other question is about section: Building DRM.
> On Intel (that is my development case ) make install (without make -C
> linux-core ) , will overwrite drm kernel headers , that is good ?

"make install" from a kernel tree will overwrite the versions in /lib/modules,
but it's easier to just copy them by hand from drivers/gpu/ to /lib/modules.

> To be honest I don't know if libdrm could be different of drm kernel and
> they could act independently or if we should check if headers of libdrm
> and headers of drm kernel are equal. Some clues about this question are
> welcome .

Some distros are starting to use the kernel headers rather than the libdrm
headers now.  I think this makes sense long term; however since the headers
are slightly out of sync it has caused build problems for some packages.

Jesse