Driver updates/releases needed for Xorg 1.6 release

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Jan 27 22:24:37 PST 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 08:13:34PM -0800, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> I dropped 1.5.99.901 into our build system that's currently building
> 1.5.3 and the latest driver releases okay, and got failures in many
> of the driver builds - most of these appear to be fixed in git, just
> need tarballs released, while one or two may still need some code changes.
>
> Note that our builds require all symbols resolve at build time to either
> one of the Xorg libraries or a list generated from the exported symbols
> in the Xorg binary, so some of these are erroring on calls to functions
> that were removed from the server.

> xf86-input-acecad 1.2.2:
> xf86-input-void 1.1.1:

These two are officially maintained, so they should be fixed. I'll see if I
can sort them out tomorrow.

> xf86-input-calcomp 1.1.2:
> xf86-input-dmc 1.1.2:
> xf86-input-dynapro 1.1.2:
> xf86-input-fpit 1.2.0:
> xf86-input-magellan 1.2.0:
> xf86-input-microtouch 1.2.0:
> xf86-input-palmax 1.2.0:
> xf86-input-penmount 1.3.0:
> xf86-input-spaceorb 1.1.1:
> xf86-input-citron 2.2.1:
> xf86-input-digitaledge 1.1.1:
> xf86-input-hyperpen 1.2.0:
> xf86-input-jamstudio 1.2.0:
> xf86-input-summa 1.2.0:
> xf86-input-tek4957 1.2.0:

These suffer from serious bitrot. Many of them haven't seen any fixes since
the import to git other than compile fixes. Now, this could either mean that
the drivers are perfect and don't need any more fixes, or that they are just
dead and the hearse never came around.
e.g. summa didn't build in F7 and later because of an rpm spec file error. No
bugreports...

The situation is getting worse under linux, where many devices now get the
kernel drivers and export their functionality through the event interface to
be picked up by the evdev driver.
I have stopped doing edits to drivers other than the Big 4 (mouse, synaptics,
keyboard, evdev) for exactly that reason.

IMO, we should drop them from the release.

Cheers,
  Peter