libXrender - documentation?

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Thu Jan 29 03:46:27 PST 2009

In <49809721.2020106 at sun.com> Alan Coopersmith <Alan.Coopersmith at Sun.COM> writes:

>Charles Lindsey wrote:
>>       RENDER extension not supported by server
>>
>> Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!

>Render support on Solaris 10 depends on which X server & drivers you use.

>On x86/x64 hardware, use the Xorg server (which is default in Solaris 10
>and later on that hardware) and Render should be supported on almost all
>hardware/drivers.

>On SPARC hardware, the drivers for the Xsun server only support render
>on some graphics cards, and some require patches from SunSolve and/or
>adding +xrender to the Xsun command line options to enable it.

Well I wish Sun would admit to it somewhere on their Website.

I am using a SPARC Ultra-2 with the "Creator Graphics" board inside it,
and the Jan. 06 release of Solaris 10. Can you say whether that should
work? Or whether installing a later release would help (sadly, Sun no
longer provide even browsable access to their patches).

As to the +render flag, I have called 'strings' on Xsun, and no string
containing "render" within it, so I doubt my version supports that. Is the
Xsun source available someplace? (no trace of it on Opensolaris.org).

Tel: +44 161 436 6131            Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: chl at clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.