XtDisplayToApplicationContext fails with "Error: Couldn't find per display information"

Tristan Schmelcher tschmelcher at google.com
Thu Jan 29 17:08:40 PST 2009

Hello all. Sorry if this is not the right place to send this, but I'm
developing a plugin for Firefox on Linux and I've run up against a
roadblock. In my plugin I'm being passed a pointer to an X "Display" struct
(in NPP_SetWindow, for those of you that know NPAPI) and I'm calling
XtDisplayToApplicationContext on it to get an app context to use in various
Xt calls. Now on most systems this works fine--e.g., Ubuntu Dapper 32-bit
with FF2 and Intrepid 32-bit with FF3 both work flawlessly. However, when I
build a 64-bit version and try it on Ubuntu Hardy 64-bit with FF3, it
doesn't work. When it enters XtDisplayToApplicationContext, I get "Error:
Couldn't find per display information" on the console and the program exits.

Does anyone know what could be causing this function to fail? I searched the
web but without luck.

Thanks.