getting all kbd events

Nokan Emiro uzleepito at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 13:24:20 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 10:15:08AM +0000, Nokan Emiro wrote:
> > I would like to use XkbSelectEvents() for this purpose.
>
> Well, you can use XkbSelectEvents() if you want, but it won't give you
> key events. :)

Oops, then I've something misunderstood.  I've read in Xkb doc, that:

"...all Xkb keyboard status events are reported to all interested clients,
regardless of which window currently has the keyboard focus and
regardless of the grab state of the keyboard."

I was happy because this is what I need.

XSelectInput() with KeyPressMask and KeyReleaseMask are out of
my interest because they lack if any other client grabs the keyboard.

> Use Xi2 to select for XI_KeyPress and XI_KeyRelease on
> modern servers with an XInput version of 2.0 or later, or just plain old
> XSelectInput() with KeyPressMask and KeyReleaseMask.

Is Xi2 able to deliver me key events when an XGrabKeyboard() by a
different client is in effect?

--
Uzlee