SIGQUIT from tty layer

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Fri Jul 10 11:33:46 PDT 2009

Ben Gamari, le Thu 09 Jul 2009 13:18:16 -0400, a écrit :
> On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 05:00:47PM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > SIGQUIT is sent to the X server if the controling tty of the X server
> > (probably its VT) receives the QUIT character (usually control-\, i.e.
> > 0x1c)
>
> This, however, would imply that something is sending the character and
> this something is certainly not me. Where else might this character come
> from? How might I trace who's writing to the tty?

Not writing to the tty, but producing input for the tty.  Are you
using evdev or the legacy kbd driver? 0x1c is the keycode of the enter
key, maybe your workload happens to restart the keyboard driver, which
temporarily re-enables signal keys.

Or maybe it's on another tty, do you have anything beyond /dev/mem,
/dev/null, /dev/tty7, /dev/agpgart and /dev/dri/card* in
lsof -p $(pidof Xorg) | grep CHR
?

Samuel