Radical idea for X-modmap problem.

walt w41ter at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 16:56:51 PDT 2009

On 07/28/2009 10:18 AM, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
>> Being strictly an amateur programmer, I've always wondered how many
>> people/institutions actually use X for remote display the way it was
>> designed to be used.
>
> Quite a lot.  In universities in crowded city centers, it is quite
> common to have students work on (fan-less) X terminals, with a large
> server pool hidden somewhere in the basement.  (Nowadays, the servers
> are fairly ordinary PCs running Linux, with a few Solaris machines to
> make the older system administrators happy.)...

Very useful info, and thanks to everyone who answered. (I'm afraid to ask
how old is 'older'.) (Grad students, maybe?)

I'm wondering about the connection from terminal to server, and how much
bandwidth would be typical for such a setting. (I'm assuming that college
students would spent substantial time watching X-rated videos on their
X-terminals ;-)