Radeon ( RV280 ) DRI2 status

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Fri Jul 31 00:16:53 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-31 at 14:50 +1000, Dan wrote:

> I have managed to get a KMS kernel booting without oopsing.
> radeon.agpmode=-1 does the trick. I have 2 problems now. Firstly, the
> mode that KMS brings up is out of sync for my LCD monitor. Does the
> driver detect the capabilities of the attached monitor, or does it use
> hard-coded defaults?
>
> Anyway, when X starts ( xf86-video-ati & mesa from git ), things come
> to life again. X reports that DRI2 has initialised. My next problem is
> that ecomorph & compiz run very, very slowly. The screen will redraw a
> small section, near where the mouse is, every 5 seconds or so. Is this
> to be expected? Or should I get usable performance in compiz?

First of all, PCI GART is known to be much slower than AGP. You should
really try to figure out what's wrong with AGP. Maybe you can post dmesg
output showing the failure to the xorg-driver-ati list.

Also, until we've ironed out some inefficiencies with compiz direct
rendering, it may actually perform better with indirect rendering. YMMV.