Switching between virtual desktops

Luca Bezerra lucabezerra at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 06:35:28 PDT 2009

@Andruk:

"I'm a complete newbie to X, so take everything I say with a grain of
salt, but I doubt that you'll be able to do this without purchasing some
good (read: expensive) hardware and doing some _heavy_ hacking on X and
some heavy hard hacking.  My understanding of video signals tells me
that this probably won't work.  I would hazard a guess and simply say
that your usage case is at least close to impossible, if not completely
impossible."
A: Im no expert either (far from that, actually), but I think the
good/expensive hardware wont be necessary.. I mean, if I choose to have like
10 virtual desktops and hold down Ctrl+Alt+Right Arrow Key, the VD's change
so fast until the last one that I can barely notice anything... And thats on
a low configuration machine.
About the heavy hacking on X, yes, thats more likely.. I have no clue if
I'll be able to do it, since, as Ive said, Im no expert on this, but.. Lets
see how far can I go :P

"I've implemented a pong-like animation using just hardware on a Xilinx
FPGA over the VGA port, but I don't think you'll be able to find an FPGA
with >2 VGA outputs.  This means that you may be forced to design and
implement your own circuit from scratch, which is not a trivial task."
A: Forgot to mention on my huge explanation.. The external circuit won't be
build by me, but by my boss, who's graduated (PhD maybe, not sure) in
electronics (or something like that). He wants me to be able to switch
desktops and send the synchronized signals through the parallel port (which
is no easy task anyway ._.).

"Heck, best of luck to you if you decide to try to implement it anyway,
though.  Be sure to post pics and a rough guide of what you did and how
to do it if the project becomes unique enough to warrant it."
A: Thanks, be sure I'll post all about it if I manage to do such thing :P

------

@Tim Nelson:

"This may not be helpful at the moment, but should you decide that you
need to go down the multiple displays route eventually, there exist screen
cards that do 4 VGA ports on the one card.  Unfortunately the only one I
know
of requires PCI Express, but I'm fairly sure there are others."
A: Yeah, I hadnt heard of the existance of 4 headed graphic boards, until
like half an hour ago, when someone mentioned you could find 4 headed PCI
graphic boards easily on eBay (cant really remember who it was, sorry :S so
many messages coming at once...). Ive already wrote down this 4 headed
graphic cards alternative as my last try, when there are no more options
available, thanks for the tip! :D