Problems with resumed suspend: Work (dual/external heads) <=> Home (built in laptop display)

Jamie Jackson myspamb8 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 22:08:55 PDT 2009

(Ubuntu 9.04)

At work, I've got dual head, external monitors (VGA, TDMS-1). If I
suspend there, and resume at home (using only built-in LVDS), I get a
black screen.

I have similar problems when going in reverse.

The only way I've been able to recover is via SSH and xrandr, however,
my home => work xrandr process is haphazard. While I can usually get
it to work, I can only get enough to give me a panel (on the wrong
screen, the VGA) to get to the gnome display config gui (where I can
finish the proper config, getting the panel on the main TDMS-1, and
the auxiliary display on the smaller VGA).

When I need to resume at home, I usually bag it, and just hard reset.

I've got a few questions:

1. Is there a way to get X to roam better (be smarter about detecting
and using displays on resume)?
2. Alternatively, is there some xrandr sequence I can use that makes
the home => work transition less awkward?
3. Also, alternatively, what's the sequence for the work => home
transition? (This one's a bit of a pain, because I've got to jump
through some hoops to SSH in at home, but if I had a sequence, I could
script it, and then maybe blindly run my script from a TTY.)

Thanks,
Jamie