Ctrl - Alt _Backspace

Angel Tsankov fn42551 at fmi.uni-sofia.bg
Sat Jun 20 10:27:22 PDT 2009

Peter Hutterer wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 10:01:33AM -0700, olcarman at cableone.net wrote:
>> I would like to enable the Ctrl -Alt - Backspace keystroke combo to
>> kill the X server.
>> After reading the man page I've come away a bit confused (as usual)
>> and when I un-hash the "Don't Zap" server flag the server won't
>> start.
>> Can someone clear this up for me?
>> Thanks.
>
> depends. server 1.6 with xkeyboard-config 1.5, the option should
> enable it. if you're using git master and xkeyboard-config 1.6, the
> trick is to set the xkb option (the xorg.conf entry is not needed).
>
> Either run 'setxkbmap -option "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"' or tick the
> matching box in your desktop environment's documentation.

Hi,

I've installed xorg-server 1.6.1 and xkeyboard-config 1.6.  In a virtual
console, 'setxkbmap -option "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"' prints 'Cannot open
display "default display"'.  I'd like to be able to kill the X server when I
run it with smth like "X" or "X -config /root/xorg.conf.new".  Is this
possible and, if so, how?

Regards,
Angel Tsankov