How to build entirety of Xorg 7.4 from source

Florian Lier fl0 at icram.de
Sun Mar 1 02:21:02 PST 2009

Hey JD,

there's a little script on the Xorg / git development site.

http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/git

You can copy and paste the script into a myxorgscript.sh (chmod +x it )
You can start building X like that (in console): sh myxorgscript init |
build | update

Depending on what distri you're using you'll need a bunch of dependencies.
If you're on Ubuntu I can help you out...

DEPS="\autoconf automake xserver-xorg-dev libdrm-dev build-essential
libxxf86vm-dev libxdamage-dev libxfixes-dev libxfixes3 expat
libexpat-dev libtool autobook \
libxinerama1 libxinerama-dev libxkbfile-dev libxkbfile1 openssl
libssl-dev xkbsel x11-xkb-utils libxfont1 libxfont-dev git-core gawk
libxt-dev \
xdebconfigurator autoconf-doc libhal-dev libdbus-1-dev libxcomposite-dev
libpng12-dev libsm-dev libxrandr-dev \
libxdamage-dev libxinerama-dev libstartup-notification0-dev
libgconf2-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libmetacity-dev
librsvg2-dev libdbus-1-dev \
libdbus-glib-1-dev libgnome-desktop-dev libgnome-window-settings-dev
gitweb curl intltool libxslt1-dev xsltproc libwnck-dev python-dev
libX11-xcb-dev \
pyrex-mode python-pyrex x11proto-scrnsaver-dev libxss-dev libprotobuf0
libprotobuf-dev protobuf-compiler gperf xmlto libglut3-dev freeglut3-dev \
freeglut-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libglu1-mesa"

(this is if you want to build compiz too)

I hope this helps.

cheers florian