[Question]LED status control over Caps Lock key

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Sun Mar 1 22:27:31 PST 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 08:12:41PM +0900, Kan-I Jyo wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> Under normal circumstance, the LED lights up and down whenever
> pressing caps lock key only
> or "shift + caps_lock".
>
> It is my intention to make it only light up the LED when "shift +
> caps_lock" is pressed.
>
> By doing some goggling, there are pages says that setting following
> two options in xorg.conf
> would make the magic.
>
> <xorg.conf>
> ... snip ...
> Option "XkbTypes" "complete"
> Option "XkbCompat" "complete+japan"
> ... snip ...
>
> However, in my case, it is not the "shift + caps_lock" but "caps_lock"
> only to light up
> the caps_lock LED.
>
> Is there a way to make the behaviour fit my wish?
>
> Any comment would be greatly appreciated.
>
> By the way, "$ man 4 kbd" does not mention about the above two options.
> Is there any document describes them?

this is handled by xkb magic, and the file that describes what happens is
assembled from the xkeyboard-config data files.
look through /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev, these are all the rules you can
apply with setxkbmap. There's some that change the behaviour of the scroll
lock LED, maybe there's one that does what you need.

http://who-t.blogspot.com/2008/09/rmlvo-keyboard-configuration.html
has a bit of an overview what those files are..
If not, you'll have to play around with the xkb compat options.

Cheers,
  Peter