Problem with xorg and intel g43

Fabio fast at ferrara.linux.it
Wed Mar 4 03:00:39 PST 2009

Hi all,

I made more tests with regard to the problem of my monitor
(asus vw198s) not being correctly recognized: I tried with many distros
(many flavour of ubuntu, knoppix and puppy) and the result is still the
same: it is not recognized. I also tried with a different pc, with another
graphic card (ati radeon) and I got the same result.
How can I decide wether the problem is of the model of the monitor or,
instead, of _my own_ monitor?
In the second case, I guess I am out of luck, but in the first?

I must add that, anyway, there should be also some issue related to the
driver: the hard freeze that I get every now and then when using it with
the intel device does never occur with the ati card. Moreover, when using
knoppix (the very same disk to boot on both pc) on the pc with the ati
card knoppix starts correctly, even if at a wrong resolution, while on the
pc with the intel card knoppix every time has the hard freeze I described.
I have only two way to boot knoppix, on the pc with the intel card:
1) boot in runlevel 2, then modify xorg.conf with my own modeline
(specifying also the device), then start X; this way I get a correct
1680x1050 screen.
2) provide at boot time the kernel module for X with the option
xmodule=i810
This way knoppix boot correctly but with a wrong resolution.

All this makes me think that, anyway, there should be also some issue
related to the intel module, but I can't imagine what.

Does anybody have some hint?

Many thanks

Fabio