visual and PictFormat related question

Peter Harris pharris at opentext.com
Wed Mar 4 10:20:20 PST 2009

Alexei Babich wrote:
>> Just to be sure: You did pass the colormap to the XCreateWindow call?
>> (Adding the colormap to the "attributes" parameter and setting the
>> CWColorMap bit in "valuemask")
> In the example yesterday - no, I suppose, I did wrong way.
> Today I corrected the parameters of creation of the window, here is an
example:

>     win =
> 	XCreateWindow(display, DefaultRootWindow(display), 20, 30, 20, 30,
> 		      0, 32, InputOutput, argb_visual, CWColormap,
> 		      &setattr);

Should be CWColormap|CWBorderPixel

The default for the border is "CopyFromParent", and the server won't let
you use the 24-bit border from the parent with your 32-bit window.

> I have a lot of documentation on the X Window System, but due to
> poor English I do not often capture the nuances and this results in
> silly mistakes, as in yesterday's example (a situation with the
> XSetWindowAttributes.colormap when creating the window).

It's not your understanding of English. It's the documentation. Your
mistake wasn't silly; it's one I've made myself a few times.

Peter Harris
--
               Open Text Connectivity Solutions Group
Peter Harris                    http://www.opentext.com/connectivity