Adding support for a (multi-)touchscreen - where best to add it?

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Thu Mar 12 18:43:53 PDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 01:40:29PM -0400, Chris Ball wrote:
> Hi David,
>
>    > Does anybody have a good suggestion as to where this support should
>    > go?
>
> My intuition is that adding the reporting to the kernel and hooking it
> up through the standard evdev driver would be the right way to go; evdev
> already has single-touch support working fairly well.  I don't think a
> multitouch kernel API has been merged yet, though -- Henrik Rydberg
> proposed an attempt here:
>
>    http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/11/7/146
>
> Peter, what do you think?

I agree. getting something sensible in the kernel prevents us from replicating
the "one X driver per device" hilarity.
Once we have that support in the kernel, we can look at how to get it to
applications in a sensible manner. Real multi-touch is hard, and there are a
few roadblocks that I'm not looking forward to.

Cheers,
  Peter