libxcb-xlib.la failures when building X11 with libxcb-1.2

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 06:56:36 PDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 1:16 AM, Simon Thum <simon.thum at gmx.de> wrote:
> Halim Issa wrote:
>> Would I be correct to assume that the best way to work around this is to downgrade while waiting for these issues to stabilize upstream in the next few months?
> Depends on how whacky you want to go. E.g. on LSF/non-production I'd
> give remi's script (see bug) a try. Worked for me.
> However I don't think upstrem is going to do much about it, since it's a
> general build/distro issue.

Actually, it's a libtool issue. It's acceptable to say you've got to
rebuild libX11 when libxcb-xlib goes away since it was using symbols
from it. Nothing else should matter, but it does because tons of .la
files have been infected with an unnecessary reference to
libxcb-xlib.la.

Debian (and Ubuntu by proxy) has a patch that makes libtool only add
needed libraries (i.e., those added on the command line) to the
dependency_libs setting in .la files. Unfortunately, I think it still
has a few corner case bugs that make it not upstream acceptable. I
think this is it:

http://patches.ubuntu.com/libt/libtool/extracted/link_all_deplibs.patch

--
Dan