[OT] Re: libxcb-xlib.la failures when building X11 with libxcb-1.2

Simon Thum simon.thum at gmx.de
Wed Mar 18 11:23:16 PDT 2009

Bill Crawford wrote:
> included on the command line at link time. Libtool sort of abstracts this, but
> to do so it needs to keep track of what those dependencies are, and does so by
> storing them in this .la file.
Thanks for the explanation. What baffles me is that AFAICT this
introduces a lot of names to the linker, which you hadn't in mind when
programming. So this practice is dangerous, because if you misspell
something it may still be satisfied as libnever-heard-or-seen.so
provides just your typo as a symbol, suppressing the proper error.

Am I missing something (besides proper headers)?