[ANNOUNCE] xf86-video-intel 2.6.99.901

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Wed Mar 18 13:14:01 PDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Julien Cristau <jcristau at debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 09:22 -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
>> A better way is when it is target to the maint branch (2.6 in your case)
>> you should try to commit on it and merge it from time to time at master
>> (or 2.7 in your case).
>
> That doesn't help when you don't know beforehand that some patch will
> need to be on the stable branch, and it prevents you from letting a
> patch sit on master to get tested for some time before cherry-picking.
> Plus, merging the stable branch on master would conflict every single
> time, if nothing else because of the version number in configure.ac.

It depends on when you merge it.

Once you've merged it, only the new changes are going to be merged
again and then the configure.ac won't be applied again.

Besides that the maintainence branch is suppose to have only bugfixes.
When you receive a bug report then you, in theory, could fix it in the
maint branch and after it has been done, merge it back into the
new branch.

Yes, I know this doesn't work that way all the time but doing it
you're reduce a lot the duplicated information and the need of
cherry-pick fixes will be reduced a lot.

--
Otavio Salvador                  O.S. Systems
Mobile: +55 53 9981-7854         http://projetos.ossystems.com.br