How to make xorg prefer "nvidia" over "nv" driver in a xorg.conf less configuration?

Francesco Pretto ceztkoml at gmail.com
Thu May 14 00:43:27 PDT 2009

Rémi Cardona <remi <at> gentoo.org> writes:

> So you want a configurable option *without* a configuration file? What's
> wrong with having a _really_ dumb xorg.conf that only has one "Device"
> section?

Because it doesn't work! I've tried to create a xorg.conf as simple as this:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "nVidia Corporation G70 [GeForce Go 7600]"
        Driver          "nvidia"
EndSection

and (obviously?) it doesn't work when running within virtualized environment (it
just drop to console). If you know how to create a xorg.conf that works in BOTH
native and virtualized, feel free to tell me how.