X withtout DRI

Olivier Martin olivier.martin.fr at googlemail.com
Mon May 18 02:21:06 PDT 2009

Just a little question to clarify my understanding of XServer design ...

>From the DRI website, I can read this article about "DRI without X" (
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/DriWithoutX). But is it possible to have a
3D-enabled XServer with GLX extension and without DRI extension (and module)
?

On "Introduction to the Direct Rendering Infrastructure" (
http://dri.sourceforge.net/doc/DRIintro.html), it says about "XFree86 DRI
Extension":

    The XFree86-DRI X server extension is basically used for communication
between the other DRI
    components (the X server, the kernel module, libGL.so and the 3D DRI
drivers).

    The DRI module maintains DRI-specific data structures related to
screens, windows, and rendering
    contexts. When the user moves a window, for example, the other DRI
components need to be informed
    so that rendering appears in the right place.

Does it means any OGL implementation within the server-side must supply a
DRI module ?
What about the OGL Mesa library with SW rasterization only ? Does it supply
a DRI module (for managing a lock on the framebuffer) ?
Is it possible to use Mesa driver with a non-DRI backend in the server-side
?

Thanks,
Olivier