How to override mouse button order for only one device with EVdev?

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon May 18 18:44:13 PDT 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 08:53:34AM -0500, Wolf Wings wrote:
> I have a ThinkPad T61p w/ a Synaptics touchpad AND thumbmouse. I
> generally ignore the thumbmouse entirely except for one thing: The
> thumbmouse has three buttons assigned to it, which are just above the
> touchpad, which has two buttons assigned to it.
>
> I'd like to associate the left and right mouse buttons on the
> thumbmouse as mousewheel actions, but not change any of the mouse
> button assignments on the touchpad's two buttons, nor do I want
> 3rd-button-emulation enabled on the touchpad.

xinput --set-button-map "TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint" 4 2 5

> Previously without EVDev, I could just use ButtonMapping and
> ZAxisMapping to do this, but I can't find any documentation on how to

ZAxisMapping is not supported because, quite frankly, it's rather pointless
for evdev. Any logical btton 4/5 and 6/7 is interpreted as
vertical/horizontal scroll wheels so you just need to adjust the button
mapping accordingly.

Option ButtonMapping still works.

> apply those (or if they even exist) when using the EVDev interface. Is
> this even possible through EVDev? If not, can I just disable EVDev for
> one or two devices so I don't have to manually configure all the other
> event-driven inputs like hotkeys and lid switches and what-not?

in the fdi file <remove key="foo" /> removes a key. if you remove
input.x11_driver, then the device won't get added.
see also http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Input_device_configuration

Cheers,
  Peter