RandR support for Xvfb

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Tue May 26 23:02:39 PDT 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 2:42 PM, Alan Coopersmith
<Alan.Coopersmith at sun.com> wrote:
> Peter Åstrand wrote:
>> RandR support has been added to the Xvnc implementation in the TigerVNC
>> project (also included in Fedora 11).
>>
>> Since Xvfb has so many bugs, I believe Xvnc is a better choice in most
>> cases.
>
> The Xorg server with the xf86-video-dummy and xf86-input-void drivers
> also approximates Xvfb, though without the ability to connect and see
> the output as needed that Xvnc will provide (unless you also install
> the vnc.so Xorg module).

I believe Antoine was asking with an eye towards use with 'xpra',
which is a sort of rootless VNC equivalent that plays some tricks with
compositing on a headless server (http://partiwm.org/wiki/xpra). So
using Xvnc would be somewhat silly, but then, there are worse things
than silliness. I haven't run into any particular bugs in Xvfb (well,
except for not supporting RandR), so I didn't realize Xvnc was better
maintained, but if so...

Alan: Is there any way for a regular user to spawn a headless Xorg
process using those modules? Reading the man page did not give me much
hope, but I'm not sure if I'm missing something (e.g., Xorg -showopts
just segfaults on my machine).

Thanks for the help,
-- Nathaniel