It's useful to have a working X server if a client holds a grab when it triggers a debugger breakpoint

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Wed May 27 16:21:05 PDT 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 08:30:24AM +1000, David Campbell wrote:
> Do you think that
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/commit/?id=5e43cd28692bc05cac80f38b47104a26c0524385
> can/should be backed out for the time being until an alternative
> solution to this matter becomes available, because with this change in
> place in the current server, there's no real way to debug popup menu
> callback code during a grab where the application and the debugger are
> on the same display.

I don't think backing this change out is a good idea for master.
xf86ProcessActionEvent is a specific API that used to be called from the kbd
driver only - and this code has been removed in favour of XKB processing.
A grep on my xorg/ tree shows that none of the maintained input drivers use
this API now.

So right now, even bringing it back doesn't help you since the kbd driver
doesn't call the API anyway, and evdev never has.

Indeed, time is better spent fixing this correctly - as Daniel said with a
new XKB action - and hooking this action up in the right places.
Owen suggested that for Qt and GDK there's workarounds to enable
debugging. They don't work for you?

Cheers,
  Peter