problems with xserver > 1.5, xinerama and nvidias rotate option

Jochen Keil j.keil at gmx.de
Sun May 31 01:34:57 PDT 2009

Hi,

i tried bisecting xserver but that didn't help to much since there are
to much broken revisions which won't build. Furthermore at some point X
refuseses to load nvidia_drv.so because of ABI break *even though* i've
set ignoreABI.

Thus i cannot really track down to the point where the error occurs for
the first time.
Imho it was introduced shortly after 1.4.2, but before 1.4.99.x.
Cluelessly i suspect the pci rework merge.

Despite that this seems to be be a problem with emulated overlays in the
nvidia driver/Xserver (i don't know who's to blame..), since the problem
only occurs with a rotated screen (wether static rotate or xrandr). The
nvidia driver help file says that it's using emulated overlays here so i
think the problem might be lying here. Whatsmore i found some discussion
about overlays/transparent indeces etc. on the mailing list.

Finally i've attached the bisect log to your pleasure.. (please don't be
to confused about it, i gave up frustrated somewhere in between)

Regards,

Jochen