local junk and .gitignore

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Sun Nov 1 10:56:04 PST 2009

>>>>> "|" == <olafBuddenhagen at gmx.net> writes:

JimC> Add *~ to .gitignore to skip patch/emacs droppings

|> As such things are inherently local and specific to your own workflow,
|> IMHO they shouldn't go in the .gitignore in the repository.

They were being added to the all of the Xorg repos; I just aided in
completing that trend.  (As I recall, I didn't touch the active
drivers with any of those wide, janitorial commits.)

Patch(1) and various emacsen are widely enough used by the devs that it
still feels more appropriate to have them in the .gitignore files.

At least until someone can show an example of a file we would legitimately
want in one or more of the repos which has a filename ending in a tilde.

And finally, I'm not sure the ~/.gitconfig support for excludesfile
even existed at the time of those commits.

-JimC