Nightly builds?

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 05:26:05 PST 2009

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 10:21 AM, Johannes Truschnigg
<johannes at truschnigg.info> wrote:
> On Friday 06 November 2009 09:19:35 David Gerard wrote:
>> 2009/11/6 Tormod Volden <lists.tormod at gmail.com>:
>> > On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 2:27 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > […]
>> > https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers
>> > […]
>
> Does the Ubuntu infrastructure allow third parties for easy creation of
> bootable live media, whilst incorporating packages like those from the PPA?
> It'd be awesome to have a slim, up-to-date live environment with the newest
> bits of the Linux kernel and Xorg around for testing, without modifying one's
> local setup too much (or at all), don't you think?

In the xorg-edgers code tree (under Branches) there is a live-cd
script for remastering a Ubuntu live CD with the xorg-edgers packages
and new kernels. We do not roll out ISOs regularly yet though. One
current issue that although a second PPA [1] from the Ubuntu kernel
team provides daily kernel snapshot builds, it does not include the
aufs patches needed by the live CD. But we have started talking with
them about having kernels with aufs and for instance drm-next pulled
in. Note also that xorg-edgers is an independent community project,
but Canonical offers the PPA infrastructure for us and anyone else
wanting to do things like this. Hopefully they will offer to also host
ISO remastering and downloads if we get that going, since personally I
do not have the hardware/bandwidth for this.

Also phoronix.com has a live CD [2] including recent Xorg bits and
their PTS benchmarking suite.

Tormod

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/MainlineBuilds
[2] http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/?k=pts_desktop_live