[OT] Re: Nightly builds?

Magnus Kessler Magnus.Kessler at gmx.net
Fri Nov 6 14:09:34 PST 2009

On Friday 06 November 2009, Simon Thum wrote:
> Rémi Cardona wrote:
> > from git and completely rebuilt. And with a single command, users can
> > rebuild all "live" packages.
>
> Would you be so kind to explain what exactly you're talking about? I'd
> be highly interested...
>
> (Last time I checked, qlist didn't relate to overlays in any way.)
>
> Thanks in advance,

With portage-2.2 you can do:

$: emerge @live-rebuild

This rebuilds ALL 'live' (*-9999) packages currently installed on a Gentoo
system. So one strategy would be to install the live packages from the x11
overlay and rebuild them on a regular basis using the above command. The
beauty of this approach is that portage still keeps track of package
dependencies and rebuilds them in the right order.

HTH

Magnus