Screen goes black after switching from X to vt

Martin Swift martin at swift.is
Sat Nov 14 06:29:50 PST 2009

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 06:25:59AM -0500, dolphinling wrote:
> This sounds like like you're using KMS and haven't enabled the
> framebuffer console. Try setting CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE.

I do seem to be using KMS but the framebuffer console was enabled,
though as a module (doesn't seem to make a difference).

Digging around, however, for information on KMS, I found that the last
driver that was marked stable on my distribuion (Gentoo) was simply
too old. Installing an unstable one proved fix the problem.

Many thanks for your help,
Martin