xset error trying to set font path

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Sat Nov 21 20:48:42 PST 2009

>>>>> "Sean" == Sean Bowser <sab259 at gmail.com> writes:

Sean> Ever since the move from Fedora 10 to Fedora 11 I have been unable
Sean> to set a remote font server for use.  The remote font server is
Sean> located on a VPN tunnel. The command that I am using specifically
Sean> is:

Sean> xset +fp tcp/<host>:7000

Sean> with error:

Sean> xset: bad font path element (#23), possible causes are:
Sean> ...

Odds are the server is compiled without support for xfs.

What does xset report for the fontpath before you attempt changes?

Is there anything font related in the Xorg.0.log?

If the server is compiled w/o xfs support, you will have to recompile.

-JimC