Adding borders do display (resolution problems)

Łukasz Maśko ed at yen.ipipan.waw.pl
Tue Nov 24 00:53:46 PST 2009

My laptop (with intel-based graphics) has a matrix with a 1280x800
resolution. Both at home and at work I also use additional monitors, which
both do not support such resolution - they both can display 1280x1024
pixels. If I want to achieve such situation, that I have the same screens
on both displays, I vahe to use --scale option with xrandr and it works -
but the picture on external screen is stretched and looks kind of weird
(aspect is not preserved).

In the same time, when I start my system, after the i915 module is loaded
(with KMS on), the external display is also turned on and displays exactly
the same picture as the biult-in one. I just have a 224 pixel high margin
on the bottom, but the aspect is correct.

Is it possible to obtain a similar situation using xrandr (a certain
combination of parameters or something)? I just want to use just a part of
the 1280x1024 screen to display 1280x800 desktop with the same aspect ratio
as on the built-in matrix.
--
Łukasz Maśko                                           GG:   2441498    _o)
Lukasz.Masko(at)ipipan.waw.pl                                           /\\