PCIe and PCI dual cards?

Aaron Plattner aplattner at nvidia.com
Sun Nov 29 11:55:22 PST 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 02:35:19AM -0800, Timothy S. Nelson wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Nov 2009, Jaguar Finch wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to get a PCIe and a PCI video card to work together for a multi-monitor setup but
> > I'm getting "(EE) No devices detected.  Fatal server error:  no screens found".
> >
> > This is under Ubunutu 9.04 and both are nvidia cards. According to the log, both cards are
>
> [snip]
>
> > X.Org X Server 1.6.0
> > Release Date: 2009-2-25
>
>  	Here's your problem.  Dual screen card support was broken for quite a
> while.  Basically, 1.6.x doesn't support them, except by accident.  I'm a

Actually, for drivers that don't require I/O access or legacy VGA, it does
work if you specify BusIDs.  Jaguar's problem was that he was using the
lspci style of BusID rather than the X style (i.e. "bus:dev.func" rather
than "bus:dev:func").  We really ought to agree on a common BusID
formatting style and then be consistent about it.