xserver 1.7.0 and intel driver 2.9.0 - how to check, why not working

Łukasz Maśko ed at yen.ipipan.waw.pl
Tue Oct 6 14:16:31 PDT 2009

Dnia wtorek, 6 października 2009, Florian Mickler napisał:
> On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 14:18:12 +0200
>
> Łukasz Maśko <ed at yen.ipipan.waw.pl> wrote:
> > I've installed the above combination (intel driver rebuilt with xserver
> > 1.7.0), but the only thing I'm getting is a blank, black screen and
> > hard lock of my machine - nothing is working, I have to hold the power
> > button to turn my laptop off. There is nothing in logs that can tell
> > me, what is wrong.
> >
> > My laptop has an Intel i855GM chipset. I'm using PLD linux with 2.6.31
> > kernel, xserver 1.6.3 and intel driver 2.9.0 (rebuilt with xserver
> > 1.6.x) and with whese versions everything works well.
>
> What are you doing, when you get the blank screen?
> Are you booting (if so, try to boot with i915.modeset=0 on the kernel
> cmdline to make sure, it is working in text-mode)  or are you
> getting the blank screen only after starting X?

I don't use KMS, becouse on my chipset I can use either KMS or XVideo, but
not both at the same time. I'm getting blank screen when starting X with
startx.

> If there is a kernel-problem, you could try to debug it with
> netconsole[2] or a serial-console. If it is "only" a graphics-problem,
> you could try to run an sshd and try to log in remotely. Or maybe in
> that case the sysrq-keys[1] do work...
> Or try another kernel (newer or older).
[...]
> p.s.: i added the intel-gfx mailinglist on the cc'list
>
> [1]  http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sysrq.txt

Not working.

> [2]  http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt

Haven't tried, I don't have another machine to use it to display the
results.

--
Łukasz Maśko                                           GG:   2441498    _o)
Lukasz.Masko(at)ipipan.waw.pl                                           /\\