static RandR config in xorg.conf with Radeon (was: Xinerama breaks randr config?)

Csillag Kristof csillag.kristof at united-consult.hu
Thu Oct 8 20:53:33 PDT 2009

Csillag Kristof wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> as a temporary workaround, I am trying to set up the following config:
>
> (from left to right)
>
> Monitor 1 - SyncMaster 214T (with broken DDC) - connected to RS690
> Monitor 2 - SyncMaster 205BW - connected to FireMV 2200 PCI
> Monitor 3 - SyncMaster 152v - connected to FireMV 2200 PCI
>
> Without Xinerama, this works fine [...]
> If I enable Xinerama, the configuration of Monitor 3 is broken [...]
> I [...] put config data in xorg.conf [...] and it works find without xinerama
With some further research, I have determined that it was only luck
that the randr config was right without Xinerama: it turns out the X
ignores most of what I want to say, whether or not Xinerama is enabled.

What I want to do is to specify the position of one monitor, relative
to the other, statically in xorg.conf.

Like this:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "FireMV 2200"
        Driver          "radeon"
        Option          "Monitor-DVI-0" "205BW"
        Option          "Monitor-DVI-1" "152v"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "205BW"
        Option          "PreferredMode"         "1680x1050"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "152v"
        Option          "PreferredMode"         "1024x768"
#       Option          "Above" "DVI-0"
#        Option          "Above" "205BW"
#       Option          "LeftOf"        "DVI-0"
#       Option          "Left Of"       "DVI-0"
#       Option          "LeftOf"        "205BW"
#       Option          "Left Of"       "205BW"
#       Option          "Position"      "200 200"
EndSection

The PreferredMode settings work; the commented-out position ones do not.
The default position is on the right, so I was testing with left and above.
But whatever I do, it goes to the right.

I have found conflicting sources about the exact syntax (ie. LeftOf or
Left Of,
output name or monitor name), so I have tried a few configurations, but no
success.

The virtual size is configured large enough to hold all possible modes.

    * * *

So, how do I configure randr positions from xorg.conf, with current X &
radeon?
The run-time on-the-fly configuration works fine, but I can not use it
when using
Xinerama, so I need to do this from xorg.conf.

Thank you for your help:

   Kristof