invisible cursor when switching to vga output on Intel with xrandr

Jelle de Jong jelledejong at powercraft.nl
Sun Oct 11 07:00:47 PDT 2009

Hello everybody,

xserver-xorg-video-intel        2:2.9.0-1
xserver-xorg                    1:7.4+4

Linux version 2.6.30-2-686 (Debian 2.6.30-8) (waldi at debian.org) (gcc
version 4.3.4 (Debian 4.3.4-3) ) #1 SMP Sat Sep 26 01:16:22 UTC 2009

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME
Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME,
943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

xrandr --output VGA --auto --output LVDS --off

When I start my HP 5101 netbook with VGA monitor connected, the LVDS
screen gets initialised on 800x600 and the VGA monitor is in cloning
mode. The mouse cursor is visible and working as expected.

When I execture the above xrandr commando the LVDS is turrend of and the
VGA screen is initialised on the expected native reslolution. However
the mouse cursor has become invisible, and I can't find any tricks to
get it visable again.

I used a configuration without xorg.conf but later added adding SWCursor
true and/or HWCursor false options. According to the Xorg.0.log these
options are being ignored.

http://debian.pastebin.com/m62f54fa3

Could somebody help me?

Thanks in advance,